Sunday, September 21, 2008

Microsoft and VMWare deployments

Well as I've said before I tend to be involved in pretty much every area of IT. So now I've taken on Desktop Deployment- - I'm doing a Windows 2008 server -64bit, with SQL express 2008, with the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2008. It's not easy, but I'll get it working. Currently the plan is to do PE boot CD's to do the installs at least for the older machines, and at one point to start doing PXE booting. There's two methods here, and I'm going for a hybrid of them. Method one: is to use Windows Desktop Services (WDS) to push an image out to the machines. This'll be the base OS, with all the patches, IE 7, office pro 2007, along with a few IE plugins. Method two: is to use the windows deployment toolkit to install the os +Apps. Method Three (Hybrid method) is to push the base image out with ideally the default apps, and then have the deployment toolkit add any addit Then depending on the end user, it'll install adobe reader/writer. As well as some other proprietary apps. Ideally it'll do the installs based off of the dell service tags, and any additional apps that are needed after the image is deployed. I'll keep everyone posted on this. I also just started working on doing network installs of VMWare ESX to my hosts whenever there's a new version. This will also be my method in case of a Disaster to replace boxes, as I'll have a vm on usb that will allow me to redeploy the boxes. From my laptop if needbe.

No comments:

Post a Comment